Friday 9 September 2011

Vacation Project

To get a start on the final year project we have been set the task of creating 3 boards as part of our research. They must be made up of 3-6 images and consist of an inspiration/influences board, a context board and a textiles/textures board. 

I have so many ideas circling around my mind at the moment that I just know I'm going to find it difficult to limit my images to 6. I really want to portray the highly decorative and patterned element I intend my work to have but also how the different cultures I have decided to look at (Britain, Poland, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, South Africa and Islamic cultures)clash. As I am only allowed 6 images I want to have an image for each culture so 1 for Britain, 1 for Poland, 1 for India and so on. Now the tricky part...putting images to my ideas....


Poland



I love how the polish cutout art has been put into an interior context here, although I will be designing for a fashion context it's interesting to see how the cutouts have been interpreted.

India
I love the geometric shapes in this Bhutan design

I intend to look at Henna Art and use the swirling patterns as inspiration.

Dye powder throwing at Holi festival- festival of colour.

As religion is such an important aspect of culture and identity I want
to look at and compare different religions.

Another Hindu festival is Rangoli, the powder patterns people create
 for this festival are extremely intricate.


Islam




Tesselating patterns are an important freature of islamic design.

Nigeria




Britain



I love the Celtic and Medieval English manuscripts and the amount of decoration on them.

The final images I have chosen for my Inspiration and Influences board are show below.
Top left to right: British celtic art, Indian painting of Ganesh, Islamic tessellations.
Bottom left to right: Woven Bhutan fabric, Nigerian Dutch wax prints, Polish cutout art.





1 comment:

  1. Love the mood board really interesting stuff!
    http://flashingfashionx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete