Sunday 10 July 2011

New designers

After going to the Textiles degree show at my university I was in a state of shock about how much work I need to produce and the quality of work I need to produce for my degree show. I know I am capable of doing the work, but creatively where I am now seems miles away from where I know I need to get to. 


While talking to the studio designer at Zandra Rhodes, she told me that The New Designers exhibition was an opportunity I shouldn't miss out on while I was in London. I booked my ticket straight away as I was eager to see what my competition in the Textiles and Fashion world was like.I also wanted to see how the work was presented as presentation seems to be an area needing improvement for me. After the shock of the MMU degree show I thought I should get all the shock of next year out of the way before I go back to University.

There were so many exhibitors at New Designer's and the standard of work was extremely high. Although I found some work I loved, there were some pieces of work that I felt were not completely original, through no fault of the designer, I was just reminded about how difficult it is to create something unique and individual. For my final years work I will have to choose something I am really passionate about and can do a lot of work towards, so as not to tire of the project. 

I was able to pick up the business cards of the Graduates at New Designers and have been able to follow their blogs to see what they are doing and what they intend to do next.


I noticed when looking around New designers that a multitude of the designers had been experimenting with stenciling and laser cutting and this is something I would love to experiment with in my final year.


When talking to one of the graduates I noticed she had a very unique dress on, when i asked her if she had designed it herself she said, 
"Well if I don't wear my designs who else is going to!" 
This statement is so true and has made me realise that in order to get my textiles seen and appreciated in a fashion context I will have to make and wear my own garments.

No comments:

Post a Comment